WhatsApp is the most famous instant messaging platform nowadays. There is good news for WhatsApp users. Other than forwarding messages, photos, videos, etc. WhatsApp will carry your money. Now you can send and receive money through it. But how to send money through WhatsApp? Come along with me and know how.
Some users have received this update and are able to send and receive money via this instant messaging app. The feature is not yet available for all users. But there is no official announcement from the company.
India is the biggest market for WhatsApp with over 200 million monthly active users as of 2017. The payment option uses the UPI interface. In the US and the UK, WhatsApp’s parent company Facebook has introduced a payment system. It is a peer-to-peer payment within its messenger app.
UPI is a digital fund transfer system. It is a peer-to-peer fund transfer system developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). The NPCI has its own UPI-enabled payments app called BHIM. Now UPI supports 72 banks.
Pre-requirement to use WhatsApp Payments
Before using the payment system ensure these things.
- You must have WhatsApp app on your phone with the version which has the payment option
- Must have a bank account with UPI support.
- The receiver should have the latest version of WhatsApp and Payment option enable.
I don’t have WhatsApp Payment option
Don’t worry you are not alone. Many people have the same problem. As this is a new feature of WhatsApp it is not available for all the user. It is in a testing phase. It will available for all the user soon.
As per the recent news, the WhatsApp ‘Request Money’ feature has gone live on the Android beta version of the app.
How to link Bank Account to WhatsApp Payments
- Open your WhatsApp application
- For Android app tap on the three dots on the top right corner
- Now tap on settings (If you use an iPhone, the Settings option is at the bottom of the app)
- You will see the list of options. Tap on the “Payment” option.
- You will be prompted to link your bank account to WhatsApp application.
- Click “Add new account” option
- On the next screen, it will show you the Terms & Conditions page.
- Read the Terms & Condition carefully and tap “ACCEPT AND CONTINUE”.
- Then it will ask you to verify your mobile number through SMS. Provide the number that is linked to your bank account.
- You will receive a verification code on your number, enter the code and complete the verification process.
- Now you will see a list of all UPI supported banks on the mobile number. For security purposes, it will show the last four digits of your bank account.
- There may be a change of multiple accounts with the same bank. Choose the bank you want to link.
- To verify the debit card provide the necessary details.
- Then you have to set up a UPI PIN. This will be done via SMS verification process of the bank.
- You will receive an OTP on your number. In the next screen enter your OTP and a new UPI PIN. Create a memorable four-digit UPI PIN.
- After you create and confirm the PIN you will get a confirmation message saying your UPI set-up complete.
- After following all the above steps your bank is linked successfully for payment.
Is my bank account secure
WhatsApp is a trusted company for billions of users. The transaction is processed by UPI. As UPI is regulated by the government of India there are no issues with the bank account. All the UPI transaction is very very secure. As you know nothing is bullet-proof in the internet world.
Can I change or delete bank account in WhatsApp
Are you have multiple bank account and want to add another account. You can definitely add a new account or link another bank account. To do this follow these steps.
- Open WhatsApp application
- Tap on the three dots on the top right corner
- Choose the option “Payment”
- Then tap on “add new account”. You will see a list of banks.
- Choose one of them and it will show you all the details and add the account.
- Then you can set up this account as your primary account or remove it.
- If you added two account set one account as primary. This primary account is the default account for your transactions.
Now you are all set to send and receive money through WhatsApp. Don’t worry I am going to discuss how to invite your friends to WhatsApp Payment and then how to send money through WhatsApp.
How to invite your friends to WhatsApp Payments
After setting the bank account details you are now ready to send money to your friends. But wait to make sure that your friend has the latest update. The recipient also needs to link their bank account and phone number with a UPI account.
If your friend doesn’t have the payment option on his/her phone you can make available for him. Once you try to send money to a contact on your WhatsApp list, he/she would get the feature. They only need to update their WhatsApp application. If any of your friends have the option then ask him to invite you.
If this doesn’t enable the “Payment” for your friend then your friends have to wait for the update to come from the company. Wait for the update to come.
You and your friends have the payment option and bank account connect to it. Then proceed you are now eligible to send and receive money through WhatsApp.
How to send money through WhatsApp
You can send money to your friends via WhatsApp individual chat or through a group.
- Open individual chat to whom you want to send money.
- Tap on the “Clip” icon and click on the payment option.
- Enter the amount you want to send and a short note.
- Then click send button.
- Then it will ask you the 4-digit UPI pin.
- Once the UPI pin authenticates the money will be sent.
- You will get the transaction SMS from your bank.
The process is the same to send money to someone in a WhatsApp group. After tapping on the ‘Payment’ icon, it will show you all the group members in that particular group. Just select the friend you want to send the money to. Then follow the steps same as in individual chat.
How to receive money through WhatsApp
There is no additional setting to receive money through WhatsApp. Once you and add banking details to the payment whenever someone sends you money your bank account will be credit.
WhatsApp will send you a message. You can double check it from your bank account.
Note one thing that currently it is only for individual users and not for businesses. May the company will introduce this payment system for businesses in the near feature.
WhatsApp comes with the most awaiting payment feature. We are using different payment applications for sending money to our friends and relatives. Think about this as chatting and sending money is is in one place how easy it will. No need for installing a separate app for payment.
When your friend or relative needs money you will help him instantly. Are you have the payment option? If no let’s wait sees when WhatsApp will roll out the feature for all the users of India. If you have any query regarding how to send money through WhatsApp, feel free to comment me bellow.